Wisconsin Sunset

Wisconsin Sunset
God is painting again...

Monday, December 31, 2007

2007... a crazy year

Well, here we are on the last day of 2007, and I thought I'd take some time to reflect. It has been a topsy-turvy year filled with many challenges - most of the year we were in the process of finding a new church position/going to interviews/preparing to move. The whole time was both exciting and stressful, as we waited to see where God would lead us to serve next. Lindsay had some health issues that made the year difficult also, so it really seems like it has been much longer than 12 months to this year.

We survived the Christmas season at Asbury - my choir and other musicians did a bang-up job on Dec. 16th presenting some very special music for the season. The choir did 3 acapella numbers Of the Father's Love Begotten, Carol of the Bells and Gigue Nöel; I had a woodwind trio play my arrangement of Silent Night; 2 of my talented choir members did a 4-hand organ piece; I had 3 trumpets join me on 2 of the Christmas carols and I did my wild and woolly Variations on Adeste Fideles for piano. I thought things went very well, considering that I arrived on the job Oct. 1 (!).

We're still getting used to the weather - as you can see below, the snow is piling up fast... we've so far had nearly 3 feet in December (the 2nd-highest snowfall totals in record!) We keep piling it up as we shovel the driveway, and the streets get progressively more narrow as the plows keep shoving it out of the way. The good news is that snow shoveling is a very good cardiovascular activity, so it is ostensibly serving to help get me back in shape. Yeah. Right. Winter has its own stark beauty, and I admit it really felt more like Christmas this year with snow. The doggie didn't know what to do at first with this snow stuff (she searched in vain for a patch of ground on which to do her duty!) She seems to have figured it out finally, though (although she does seem to take her own sweet time on those nights in the 'teens when we've got 20 mph winds. Yikes!

We miss all of our friends and family in CA (and elsewhere!) Please know you are often in our hearts and thoughts.

Happy New Year!

No comments: