Wisconsin Sunset

Wisconsin Sunset
God is painting again...

Sunday, February 15, 2009

On a Different Note...

On a different note, I am still at GHC, as a temp, for over a year now. I saw the CEO the other day while I was eating my lunch, and he asked if I was coming to the employee winter party the next day. When I answered that I wasn't, he asked why. I actually felt a little dumb telling him, "Because I'm not an employee..." "Oh, yeah," was the response. What a dear man.

I am still absolutely in love with this company. The care I have received from everyone from my doctors and nurses, to the reception staff and my co-workers has been second to none. Unfortunately, I have been finding myself needing to use my health benefits more and more as of late. I'm really at a loss of how to begin this next part, as not all of you are aware of some of my health challenges. I want to be sensitive in how I approach the subject, so as to not overly concern anyone. I know this isn't like a normal post, but I thought this was important, and that some of you might want to kick my rear end if I didn't say something...

Back in 1996, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I've dealt with it for over 10 years now, and have been on a treatment that seems to work okay, with minor side effects. (Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking - explains a lot, right?) Anyway, in the last year or two, I've had more issues with the MS pop up, hence the need to see more docs. The thing that gets me is that they really listen to me here. When I say I'm having some issue, they don't just dismiss it - they discuss it. They don't rush out the door to another 5 minute appointment. They act as if I'm the only patient they have that day. Amazing.

There's also a fantastic group here through the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for people with MS in their 20s and 30s. I've never gotten to meet others in the same life-stage as me with the disease. We've had a couple of gatherings at restaurants, and I've met some really neat people. And for the first time in my life, I don't feel like a disease-ridden freak. The people in this group have been funny and caring, and it's just really great to be able to say something like, "I fell off my chair today, and knocked over the orange juice - again," and the response is, "I know - doesn't that just bite?" They get it, they get me, and it feels good. Spouses are also encouraged to join the group, and so they find a camaraderie with others in the same boat. It's just a good thing all around.

One of the issues that I've been dealing with I originally thought was due to my MS, but after numerous appointments and a few tests, it looks as if I have a new "quirk". I won't go into details, but suffice to say that the docs have figured out that I've got some issues with my ovaries, and the blood test didn't come back the way we hoped. I had a rough day Tuesday, dealing with the news, as the test indicated higher than normal cancer antigens.

I really freaked out.

It isn't a diagnostic test by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact the number wasn't within "normal" range (I'm really beginning to despise that word), got me a new doc, a GYN. I didn't even have to wait for several months because I was a new patient! I got in one day after I got the blood test results. (My original doc said something about having a good "arm twister" in her office to make the call for an appointment.) After looking over my chart, my GYN said he seriously doubts it's cancer, but that we should look a little bit closer. So, I'll be having another ultrasound early next month, and laparoscopy surgery at the end of next month. I'm nervous about the surgery. It's outpatient - as far as surgery goes, it's as easy as it gets, but you get the point.

So, here's what I'm asking for: Prayer. And love. And not telling me stories/advice, based on your mother's friend's cousin... I love you my friends, and I know you have good intentions and all that, but I'm really just needing the positive right now. I'll keep you posted on the news, but as per the title, this blog will largely remain devoted to the weirdness that is Wisconsin.

Peace,
Lindsay

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Thanks Lindsay for sharing about your situation. it sounds like God has placed incredible doctors in your life right now. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Keep in touch!