Wisconsin Sunset

Wisconsin Sunset
God is painting again...

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Cows Come From California...

...And evidently, they like to visit Wisconsin during the winter. No kidding - saw a California cheese commercial while I was working out at the gym last night. I'm surprised there wasn't a riot. Wisconsonites (that's what they call themselves) take their dairy very seriously. Ban those California cows!


Even on the Capitol's Chirstmas tree (argh!):



Speaking of dairy - I went to the grocery store the other night after work to get a couple gallons of milk (great sale - 2 for $5). Anyway, it was around zero degrees, and we had some wind - it was COLD! I swear I thought I was going to have two gallons of ice cream by the time I got from the store to the car! Things have been freezing like nothing I've experienced before. I've always been very conscious of the fact that you don't leave your take-home food in the car because it will spoil. That's not the case when your car is colder than your refrigerator!


We have an enclosed breezeway between the house and the garage - very nice for muddy boots - and it has been a great place to store extra stuff like cases of water. This week, that all went to heck - you can't drink ice.




I tell Jonathan sometimes that he's full of hot air, but evidently, it doesn't matter when it's 10 below zero outside. We woke up Sunday morning (all five of us sleep in the bedroom), and I opened the curtains to look out on the gorgeous day, only to find we had frosted glass windows - on the INSIDE! The moisture from all of us had gotten trapped behind the blinds and froze on the window!




The other day at work, they were talking about one of the company's core values: Innovation. For some reason, this inspired handing out Pop Rock to every employee. (Beats me, I wasn't at the meeting - one of the perks of being a temp.) Anyway, everyone was pretty excited about them, since most of us haven't eaten them in years, and some of the employees had never eaten them. It was great seeing my boss pop a handful into his mouth for the first time and watch his face as he exclaimed at the experience. (For those of you not familiar with Pop Rocks, they're small sugary candies that have been infused with carbon dioxide and pop and crackle - loudly - in your mouth.) Like everyone else, I was happy to pop a handful or two, which was great - until I did it - and then my phone rang. You can imagine the rest of the story: "Group Health (POP! POP!) Marketing (SNAP!) This is Lindsay (CRACKLE! CRACKLE!) May I help you?" I can only hope the guy on the phone thought we had a bad connection.


Jonathan and I got a couple of Target gift cards for Christmas, so we went shopping tonight. Christmas is done, Valentines are out, Easter's on it's way... But isn't this jumping the gun a bit?





It's been five degrees and below zero all week, guys. Think warm thoughts... Think very warm thoughts...


No comments: